Search.installmac.com is a browser hijacker that attacks Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari browsers. It is a specific search engine that is related to Genieo Search browser hijacker which attacks PC’s. Search.installmac.com concentrates on Mac Computers. The program is categorized as a potentially unwanted program because of the methods it uses to infiltrate and further activities on the infected computers.
Search.installmac.com is installed to computers bundled with other programs, like video players, PDF creators and so on. Sometimes users can be convinced to download it as a useful software. Once inside the program modifies browser settings and replaces previous homepage and default search provider. If you try making a search , you will see that Search.installmac.com includes tons of sponsored links and also displays numerous ads.
The purpose of Search.installmac.com is to promote various websites by redirecting to them by the time users are browsing on the Internet. The program seeks to boost their traffic. What is more, the application can collect information about your browsing habits and use it for malicious purposes, mainly marketing related ones. You can also lose some private data.
Remove Search.installmac.com as soon as you detect it on your computer. Change your search providers and homepage manually on the browser that got infected. Follow the instructions below depending which browser was infected:
On Safari :
- Click the magnifying glass in the upper left corner of the search bar. Select Google.
On Firefox :
- Enter “about:config” in url bar. This will open settings page.
- Type “Keyword.url” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.defaultengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Type “browser.search.selectedengine” in the search box. Right click it & reset it.
- Search for “browser.newtab.url”. Right-click and reset. This will make sure that the search page won’t launch on each new tab.
On Google Chrome:
- Click 3 horizontal lines icon on browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Select Basics ->Manage Search engines.
- Remove unnecessary search engines from list.
- Go back to Settings. On Startup choose Open blank page ( you can remove undesired pages from the set pages link too).